If you own stock, it is sometimes "tax wise" to contribute stock rather than cash. A gift of appreciated stock generally offers a two-fold tax advantage:
- You avoid paying capital gains tax on the increased value of the stock.
- You receive an income-tax deduction for the full fair-market value of the stock at the time of the gift.
If you have owned stock for more than a year, you qualify for these significant tax advantages. Your gift must be postmarked by December 31 to qualify for a deduction in that tax year. A stockbroker or trust officer also can arrange for a year-end gift of stock from your account.
How to Transfer Stock
Please have your financial agent transfer the following to Merrill Lynch:
- Broker's DTC Number
- Name of stock, CUSIP #, and number of shares being transferred
- Merrill Lynch
- 2315 Airport Boulevard, Suite B
- Wilson, NC 27896
- Broker: Larry Blair or Kathy Bellamy
- Phone: 252-399-2536 or 1-800-937-0643
- Account Name: Barton College
- DTC #: 8862
- Account Number: 791-02245
Please have your financial agent email the following information to Barton College:
- Name and Address of the Donor
- Name of fund the gift should be designated to
- Name of stock, CUSIP # and number of shares being transferred
- Donor letter to Broker expressing intent; if possible. Contact Jessica Tyson in the Office of Institutional Advancement at 252-399-6381 or email@example.com
For additional information email Jessica Tyson with your name, contact information, stock name and number of shares. We will provide you with instructions for your broker.